During the winter months I find it important to make our house look and feel warm and cozy. It’s so enjoyable to be inside reading a book while its’s dark and cold outside. I especially enjoy the mood one can create with lighting. My daughter Maja has been wanting a night light in her room for some time. So, I decided to make her one using white Christmas lights and fabric Stiffy. This was such an easy project to do and I was pleasantly surprised with how it turned out.
To make the cloud night light here’s what you’ll need:
* Led white Christmas lights (I used 50 lights, but I easily could have used 100)
* two fat quarters of fabric
* white thread and needle
1. With your two fat quarters of fabric cut out a shape of a cloud (or any shape you’d like). You can draw the shape out first on butcher paper. Make sure to cut out two pieces and that the right sides match up together.
2. On the backside of the cloud cut out a circle. I cut mine about the size of my fist. This is so that you can stuff the cloud with batting.
3. Line the two cut out pieces together right sides together and sew all the way around following the contours of your shapes. Turn right side out and stuff the cloud with batting. Make sure to fill the cloud with a lot of batting to avoid bunching and getting the shape you’d like.
4. With the needle and thread sew a hook on the back of the cloud.
5. Paint the front and back side of the cloud pillow with the Stiffy. I painted two coats.
6. Let the Stiffy dry, this is what’s so amazing about Stiffy is that it hardens fabric. Remove the batting, you may have some batting still attached on the inside of the pillow, which is fine.
7. Put the Christmas lights into the cloud pillow, hang and plug in. You’re done!
Here’s how the night light looks unplugged…………………And here’s how it looks plugged in.
I love how warm and soft it makes the room look when lit up. This night light will make a nice little addition with the Holidays coming up.